Welcome!

On this blog you will find... vegan recipes, products, and general info regarding vegan life. You will also find some art with the stories behind it, news of my shop on Etsy and someday hopefully some music.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Vegan Creamed Spinach Empty Nest Pasta...

Vegan  creamed spinach empty nest pasta...
Well my daughter went off to college and truthfully I was pretty depressed, but I 'm a little better now. Also, she took the camera. So, until I can get one for myself all my photos are going to be taken with my very fancy i-phone.  I really like my i-phone, sometimes I can't believe how many things it does. When I was young movies about the future often included video phones. I never thought I would be carrying one around in my pocket. Not only do I carry it in my pocket but, I carry it around in my pocket at the farmer's market. Kind of an interesting future as it turns out. I have a video phone in my pocket but food is not materialized in a little box on the wall like Star Trek. Thank goodness! because I like gardening, cooking, and grocery shopping.
Another thing that has changed since my daughter has moved out is I can eat spinach which she did not like but I do. So yesterday my Mom came over. I made pasta and we watched Glee. This pasta is very easy but it is pretty good. The recipe is as follows...

1/2 lb spinach
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup flour
3 cups almond milk
salt and pepper to taste
5 cloves garlic
white wine
pasta
2 medium fresh tomatoes
1/2 a red onion
5 large button mushrooms

1. Boil water for pasta which you can cook while you are making everything else. About 4 servings of the pasta of your choice would be good.
2. Make a roux with olive oil and flour. I don't know if it is officially a roux with olive oil but I prefer olive oil to  margarine because I feel that it tastes better, is classier and healthier.
3. Add minced garlic to heated flour and olive oil.
4. Add sliced mushrooms saute briefly. Add salt and pepper.
5. Add spinach, when it is starting to wilt add a splash of white wine.
6. Add 3 cups of almond milk. I guess you could use some other milk substitute if you want. I like almond milk because it tastes good and I think is also a little bit classy. I mean you might make a cream soup with almond milk even if you weren't vegan. And the flavor is very versatile.
7. At the end if you want throw in the 2 fresh medium tomatoes diced and cook until it is a little bit thick.
8. Pour over pasta which is probably done by now. In fact the whole thing is done in about the time that it takes to make the pasta.

* A note about this recipe I planned to use white wine in it but, unfortunately the wine that I bought turned out to be broken so I couldn't use it. When I made this it was good but not as good as I think it would have been if I could have used the wine. The reason I am writing this disclaimer is because even though I wanted to make it with the wine I didn't so it is possible that it won't be good with wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment