|Vegan creamed spinach empty nest pasta...|
Another thing that has changed since my daughter has moved out is I can eat spinach which she did not like but I do. So yesterday my Mom came over. I made pasta and we watched Glee. This pasta is very easy but it is pretty good. The recipe is as follows...
1/2 lb spinach
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup flour
3 cups almond milk
salt and pepper to taste
5 cloves garlic
2 medium fresh tomatoes
1/2 a red onion
5 large button mushrooms
1. Boil water for pasta which you can cook while you are making everything else. About 4 servings of the pasta of your choice would be good.
2. Make a roux with olive oil and flour. I don't know if it is officially a roux with olive oil but I prefer olive oil to margarine because I feel that it tastes better, is classier and healthier.
3. Add minced garlic to heated flour and olive oil.
4. Add sliced mushrooms saute briefly. Add salt and pepper.
5. Add spinach, when it is starting to wilt add a splash of white wine.
6. Add 3 cups of almond milk. I guess you could use some other milk substitute if you want. I like almond milk because it tastes good and I think is also a little bit classy. I mean you might make a cream soup with almond milk even if you weren't vegan. And the flavor is very versatile.
7. At the end if you want throw in the 2 fresh medium tomatoes diced and cook until it is a little bit thick.
8. Pour over pasta which is probably done by now. In fact the whole thing is done in about the time that it takes to make the pasta.
* A note about this recipe I planned to use white wine in it but, unfortunately the wine that I bought turned out to be broken so I couldn't use it. When I made this it was good but not as good as I think it would have been if I could have used the wine. The reason I am writing this disclaimer is because even though I wanted to make it with the wine I didn't so it is possible that it won't be good with wine.