Thursday, July 28, 2011
East meets west vegan baked potato fusion...
1/2 a head of cabbage
1 1/2 cups of snow peas
1 portabello cap
1/2 an onion
1 jalapeno (optional)
2 stalks celery
liquid smoke (optional)
3-5 cloves garlic
3-4 russet potatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
First wash the potatoes, poke them with a fork multiple times, wrap them in foil and bake them at 400 degrees for 40 minutes to an hour. When they are almost done make the stir fry.
1. Slice onion, snow peas, cabbage and celery into thin strips.
2. Mince garlic
3. Cut portabello in half, slice halves into thin slices. Mince jalapeno.
4. Heat oil such as canola in large sauce pan.
5. Brown the portabellos. Then add garlic and saute briefly.
6. Add onions, celery, jalapeno and snow peas.
7. Saute until softening.
8. Swirl in some mirin, swirl in some soy sauce, then just a splash of worcestershire sauce.
9. Grind some black pepper over it.
10. If you add the liquid smoke (we haven't tried it with this yet but think it would be good) now would be a good time.
11. Sprinkle with flour and toss to combine.
12. Cut across the tops of the baked potatoes and pinch to open, cover liberally with stir fry and cheese( if you want). Place back into oven briefly about 7-10 minutes.
As I said we haven't tried the liquid smoke yet, but think it would be good. We have tried them with and without jalapeno which were both good. Also we had them with vegan field roast apple sage sausages which was really good. Another note: more sauce is better in order to saturate the potatoes. See you later!