Welcome!

On this blog you will find... vegan recipes, products, and general info regarding vegan life. You will also find some art with the stories behind it, news of my shop on Etsy and someday hopefully some music.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Vegan vegetable soup with beets...

This soup is the result of another community farm share. I basically cut up the entire share put it in a pot with salt, pepper and cooked it with some noodles I made.. It came out pretty good so, I thought I might share it. I love beets the taste and the color. I put the noodles in thinking they would turn pink which they did but not as pink as I thought they would. Oh well. I would suggest making the noodle dough first and then making the rest of the soup while it is resting. Here is the soup...

4 small red beets and their greens
1/2 a head of cabbage
1 green pepper
A handful of green beans
1 entire white onion
1 large carrot
3 stalks celery
1 vegetable bullion cube
Salt and pepper to taste
Water to cover and then some

1. Bring water to boil with with bullion cube reduce to simmer.
2. Peel and wash beets cut into cubes and add to water.
3. Wash beet greens, cut into strips, add to soup. Don't use stems.
4. Dice white onion and green pepper, add to soup.
5. Slice celery very thin add to soup.
6. Cut carrot into small rounds add to soup.
7. Cut cabbage in half, cut out core, cut into quarters and cut quarters into strips, add to soup.
8. Throw in handful of frozen green beans.
9. Salt and pepper to taste.

The noodles...

1 cup semolina flour
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup water

Okay, I didn't write this one down but, I think that is right. I suggest adding your water a little bit at a time though. 

1. Stir semolina flour and all purpose flour together,
2. Add water little by little until it comes together but is not sticky.
3. Knead about 10 minutes until smooth.
4. Rest about 15 minutes under damp towel.
5. Okay, I cheated I didn't roll these out, I sliced thin slices off of the whole ball and then slice them into little strips. Probably the result would have been better if they were rolled out. These are something between a dumpling and a noodle. If you slice them off like I did or roll them out which would be better they should be very thin. Also I did not use the whole dough I used about 3 quarters of it.
6. Bring the soup to a boil again and sprinkle noodles in it, reduce to simmer. Then simmer about 10 more minutes.

1 comment:

  1. The soup was delicious. I have never had noodles in beet soup and was surprised how much I enjoyed them. They had a nice texture. Using the beet greens was a terrific idea too.

    ReplyDelete