Welcome!

On this blog you will find... vegan recipes, products, and general info regarding vegan life. You will also find some art with the stories behind it, news of my shop on Etsy and someday hopefully some music.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Love for Japan, ink and water color illustration, Japan relief

This is a print of an Aceo sized water color and ink illustration of the word love. This print is available for sale in my shop on Etsy. Proceeds from the sales of this print will be donated to Americares for earthquake relief efforts in Japan.
Recently some one bought one of these prints and wanted to know what the story is behind it. I wrote it out for them and posted it with the listing in my etsy shop. I thought I might post it here as well...
Originally I did not include the story behind this one because I was kind of embarrassed about it and I am not great at writing. However some one asked for the story as to how I came up with the idea for this print and I decided to share it because other people might be interested. The story is as follows.
During the time of the earthquake I was working at a Japanese/French cafe called Cafe Japon. So, I really wanted to do something in order to benefit people in Japan.
My first idea was a book mark with cherry blossoms and a Japanese saying that I had heard "fall down 7 times stand up 8". I really like this saying and still do because it is very applicable to some aspects of life and during certain times. I picked a book mark because it would be both affordable and useful. The prints came out terrible and after reading a little I decided I did not know enough about Japanese culture to really understand the significance of cherry blossoms or the saying well enough to use them. I started to think some of the earth quake victims may not want to stand up right now, they might want to lie down and be covered with blankets until they get well. I began to think that different things are needed at different times.
I tried a few other designs. I made 2 Aceos depicting cats a gray cat and an orange cat. I liked the way both of them looked but I wasn't happy with those either. They looked nice but they didn't really mean anything aside form I am trying to help which is good but, I like the people I work with a lot and I wanted to say something as well as make something I thought looked really good.
I decided on love because it covers everything. Life and love kinds of reminds me of the Kenny Roger's song about playing cards...You've got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them , know when to walk away, know when to run...Different things are applicable in different situations...Sometimes you have to fight for what you love, sometimes you have to compromise for what you love, sometimes it is a good time to stand up again, some times it is time to surrender. Love heals, up holds, creates, and provides what is needed.
Originally I wanted to write it in Japanese but, I really wanted to finish it and I wasn't confident in how well my Japanese writing would come out. So I decided that English would be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment